Ey. (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 24, 2020, 09:53 (1516 days ago) @ Malagate

I understand your reasoning, I just don't agree with it. There are flaws in that your logic makes hard determinations based on assumptions. Maybe I want the convenience of having my fun in enjoying the cosmetics now instead of grinding for them. Is that worth a couple bucks in the right circumstances? Absolutely. Does that make me an idiot by your caluculation? I'd have to assume so. But it describes a perfectly reasonable case that I would guarantee happens, or something akin to that happens, on a regular enough basis that MtX remain a viable revenue stream.

Isn't that exactly the point I was making? You want them now instead of grinding for them. Getting them now by paying is more pleasant than going through the intentionally designed grind. You were put in that situation by the designers. They could have just as easily made all the cosmetics selectable from the beginning. Then you could have them now and pay nothing.

There's nothing there that demands that part of the game be unpleasant whatsoever. I don't know if you've spent any professional time creating and executing test cases, but I have. You can TRY to predict human behavior, but as soon as you begin incorporating assumptions like you have, you start to be wrong.

So then why are frictions added to games? I think you can predict human behavior in aggregate. Maybe not a particular individual, but people are in general quite similar. Otherwise user interfaces or physical design choices would not make sense. If playing the game is pleasant, I see no reason why someone would want to pay extra to not have that pleasantness. I believe that holds true in aggregate, and so do designers. I don't think it's reasonable to deny their psychological effectiveness. That's why we are talking about them after all.

But now you're doing the thing with your tone where you act like your perspective is the only reasonable one to take. Like, either you respect other people and their opinions or you don't; you value being part of the community here or you don't, but I for one don't take kindly to this air you put out like you're some kind of authority and anyone that thinks differently has something wrong with them.

That's not what I mean. If you have a reasonable response to any of the points, there's nothing wrong with you.

You've done a whole lot of it here for a LONG time. And to date you're still here crowing about your logic in refusing to play a game that the rest of us (for the most part, I won't speak for everyone) enjoy as a pasttime. I've never known someone to be so dogged about hanging out at a party and complaining about the music and thanking themself for not listening to such inauthentic drivel on their own time; when the whole point of the party in the first place was to come together to appreciate it.

Disintegration isn't out yet dude how is everyone playing it?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread