So let's take a walk, shall we? (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 24, 2020, 18:40 (1515 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Depends on how you define connect. I don't deny that gameplay can be somewhat vague in that it can be used in different contexts to mean slightly different things. Most would agree that gameplay has to do with how the player interacts with the rules of the game, and most would also understand what is meant by "cosmetic items that don't affect gameplay."

What are the rules?

Gun X does Y damage. Ok.

But what about the rule that says "this animation is played this way if hit by this explosion"? What about the rule that says "Play this sound in the rear surrounds when the player is looking away, and make it louder the closer it gets".

Nevermind the only way players can even interact with the rules is because they are seeing and hearing what's going on.

Where do you draw the line? I say there's no line. It's all the gameplay.

To me you're conflating gameplay with game experience. I'm able to affect the gameworld with my actions in a way that lets me progress in the game. When I do that, I call that gameplay. Not you, me, Kermit. That's what I call gameplay. You don't have to call it gameplay. You can call everything under the sun gameplay if you please. But when I say I'm not bothered by cosmetics that don't affect gameplay, I'm talking about my definition of gameplay, not yours.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread