So let's take a walk, shall we? (Gaming)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, January 24, 2020, 08:07 (1515 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Would you say the microtransactions in Destiny affect gameplay?

Not in terms of balance in PvP, and not in terms of kill potential in PvE. So, no. Eververse is all cosmetic. Sure, I dislike that there are anachronisms that break my immersion, but that's kind of inevitable in MMO's I think. Plus we're talking about robotic space wizards and machine-gun toting knights chucking flaming hammers, so. Perspective.

Because the way they do affect the current design of the game is directly responsible for me no longer playing. Cody is right here—the mere existence of microtransactions necessarily affect gameplay, otherwise they wouldn’t be effective.

What part of your gameplay experience aside from aesthetics and social interactions is affected by Eververse? How well you play and how effective the game allows you to be aren't influenced by the extra money beyond retail that you spend on Destiny.

I also really hate the argument that cosmetics don’t affect gameplay. Cosmetics are a massive party of enjoyment in games for many people. Just because they don’t matter on a mechanical level doesn’t mean they’re unimportant to gameplay.

Well, show me how they do. Yes, I get enjoyment out of ornaments I've bought, and I use the odd specialty emote. But they don't change the heart of the game. They don't change what's possible. And new cosmetics and emotes that don't require microtransactions come out all the time. You feel the way you feel, and if the way MtX functions in Destiny is enough to get you to quit, that's your decision. All I've got to say about that particular fact is that it makes me a little sad.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread