So let's take a walk, shall we? (Gaming)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, January 24, 2020, 08:14 (1516 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Can you perhaps explain it to me a bit when you say my criticism comes from a place of privilege?

We should all be so privileged to demand such unwavering purity in the content we consume.

This comment was aimed at your rather high standard of not being willing to touch any title that dared to sully itself with microtransactions, even though cosmetics don't affect gameplay.

It does effect ‘gameplay’. Your premise is wrong. Unless the only way to get the cosmetic items is to buy them, the game design must necessarily be altered with frictions in order to encourage you to buy instead of simply earn by playing. That is why I have a problem with them. That is why they aren’t benign or innocent. That is why they are in bad faith.

No, it affects your experience. It doesn't affect gameplay. It doesn't make the premise wrong. And it doesn't mean anything is in bad faith.

All that about bad conditions is irrelevant. Go read up on Marcus and why he said he left Bungie. V1 is ostensibly set up to eliminate crunch for employees.

All what about bad conditions? You're doing it again. You're discarding the meat of my argument and cherry-picking specific pieces to respond to. I've responded to your whole post. Tough working conditions was merely one aspect.

Just because V1 aims to eliminate crunch doesn't obviate the rest of what I said. From a business perspective, it's a risk to do what they're doing, and if MtX don't affect the gameplay, it's pretty knee-jerk to say you're not going to even entertain a product by virtue of that; knowing full well what's needed to sustain a game.

Take in the whole argument and let's have an earnest debate about all of it, FFS. Stop all the slice-and-slant stuff. You're better than that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread