Really? (Gaming)

by Claude Errera @, Friday, January 24, 2020, 14:03 (1515 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have no problem with paying for art. Put it all in the game, and charge 80 bucks for it. Many games I would buy for double or triple the price if they were marked as such.

That's a 33% hike in launch price, if we assume launch price is 60 bucks. That means they could only afford to lose up to a tad below 25% expected sales before the hike (75% * 133% = 99.75%).

Do you honestly think the market is in that position right now? That enough people value your position enough to cover that hole? Personally, I don't blame any publisher that are insecure about that.

All I know is that games adjusted for inflation were more expensive in the 80s than they are today, and lo and behold look at how many games on this list are from the last millennium. Frogger sold 20 million copies dude. It was comparatively more expensive than a game of today.

Do you think Frogger would have sold 20 million copies if there were the plethora of options that there are today?

(For that matter: would Halo have dominated the scene in 2001 if there had been, say, 10 different decent shooters? They don't even have to be great - they just have to be decent.)

If you're gonna compare market experiences, don't cherry-pick your points - look at the whole environments.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread