Maybe for the tech? (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, June 06, 2020, 14:17 (1420 days ago) @ cheapLEY

At the very least we saw three big new things at play here:

1. The ability to host a significant chunk of Destiny 2's population at the same time with no major outages or issues. The game held up under a worldwide event. There's a tweet here and there from Bungie employees talking about it took a good amount of work to make that possible.

2. Time of Day and Skybox scripting. The event paused the normal time of day rotation in the mid-morning hours, then later advanced it to noon, then paused it again in the early afternoon hour that the Almighty stuff actually started happening. Later, the time of day resumed its normal 1 hour = 1 day schedule. (Or whatever it is now) I don't think we've seen that before.

3. Big, multi-bubble, linked skybox events. This is something I've wanted for Destiny for ever and ever. Public events have had skybox stuff, like the Fallen ship that settles over an Ether Servitor then leaves when the event ends. But, every event big or small I can think of (Missions, public events, Raids, etc) have basically existed one bubble (map zone) at a time. If you leave the Cabal Base in the EDZ while the Ether Servitor event is going, the event just ends in an instant from your point of view. When the Almighty's flaming hulk was falling I ran from the Bazaar back to the main Tower and the whole event continued to exist and remained in sync including things like controller rumble and the position of the Almighty's wreckage.

Doesn't mean my time was respected with this event. The eclipse phase should have started an hour before Update. The attack phase should have been 10-15 minutes tops. The crashing phase was fine at around 3 minutes. I'd love to see this tech repurposed for other big events... Just make them 30 minutes long instead of 120...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread