Bungie Tweets: Aftermath (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, June 06, 2020, 20:21 (1391 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Like, I totally get if the team had to conquer some technical hurdles to make this work, and they’re proud of themselves for pulling it off. They should be proud. But “difficult to implement” does not equate to “fun user experience”. What really blows my mind is the number of replies to those tweets saying stuff like “fantastic event!” and “it was awesome!”. I’m not trying to be a downer here, but... it was literally standing in the tower for 80 minutes while nothing happened, followed by a ~4 minute lightshow. Are people’s standards/expectations so damn low that Bungie can just tell them to stand in the tower for an hour and a half and that’s an “awesome event”?

I totally understand and appreciate a game that leaves room for a group of friends to “create their own fun”. That’s why I love the early D1 raids more than most of the D2 raids; the voice chat bandwidth wasn’t completely consumed by callouts, so you could just hang out with friends while raiding. That’s why I have so much fun with games like Deep Rock, Sea of Thieves, and Destiny until recently. But praising Bungie for making you and your friends stand in the tower for an hour just doesn’t make sense to me. If you had any fun, it’s because your friends are awesome, not the event.
Or am I just totally out of touch here?

(OldManYellingAtCloud.jpg)

You can't know their experiences nor standard for fun, yes? I know not who you reference, but I'd wager there were probably a few clans that all grouped up and shot the shit and chatted up with one another while the clock invisibly ticked. It's digital fireworks, in some cases literally if someone spawns the traveler ball. You just can't know what other folks find fun, and what that metric will be.

I for one am glad others were able to find fun among the horrible timing of things.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread