Agreed, I actually watched the first 60 minutes and left (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, June 08, 2020, 12:16 (1389 days ago) @ bluerunner

I think most of the complaints could have been avoided if they had either communicated the length of the event or the end time. Staying stuck to my screen for the length of a movie watching small lines and explosions because I didn't want to miss the end wasn't enjoyable. If I had known about when the end would come I could have checked back in off and on without fear I would miss it. That, or they could have shortened it to under 30 minutes and it would have been enjoyable.

I shoot professional fireworks shows. I very rarely go over 20 minutes for a show. After that you get audience fatigue. We have a variety of shells and effects, often synced to music, but eventually the novelty runs out. That 15-20 minute mark gives me, excuse the pun, the most bang for my buck. The sponsors (who pay for the show) feel like they got their money's worth, and the audience is entertained long enough before they start to lose interest. I definately felt the fatigue after the first 20 minutes of it actually starting. It being delayed 30 minutes just added to that.

I honestly thought there was no way it could be longer than 60 minutes and at the point that the sparkling had gone on for that amount of time, I thought "ok well I guess this will sparkle/explode at a later date" and logged off so I could help take care of my 1 year old.

If I had just the vaguest sense of when the main event was, it would have really helped me set mine and my partner's expectations. As such, it looks like I missed out what I personally think was a really cool event.

I didn't realize it was delayed by 30 minutes, I thought that the first 30 minutes was just the almighty very slowly getting closer/larger, but I couldn't tell...

I'm super excited about more events like this, I just hope they're better communicated in the future.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread