Thank you for being reasonable. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, July 07, 2014, 15:10 (3574 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I find this thread extremely disappointing.

I agree. Two weeks ago, it was "Xbox has to wait a year for exclusive content, and PS4 gets more days for Beta? No big deal, the game is huge, and there'll be tons to do until then."

Now it's "ONLY FIVE DAYS OF BETA? BUNGIE YOU JUDAS WHY I HATE YOU"...

Like I said elsewhere, all of this blind ranting and raving is not conducive to any positive development. In the end, most, if not all of the people raging here will buy Destiny anyway, and they'll love it, without complaining about the politics of exclusive content or lamenting whatever skins or armor they don't have while they play. Why not appreciate that you even get any days with the Beta, since they didn't have to make it available for all platforms, but they're doing it anyway. Like I said, this is a fan base built up on Xbox, and Bungie remains supportive of Xbox. Exclusive content is only a big deal because you want what others have. "I want equality" people say, but if the Xbox was getting the exclusive content, you wouldn't hear anyone say a word about equality. It would be all "yeah Xbox is better!"

So there's that. Let's all take a breath and calm down... Until Cody gets here.

So wanting equality is wrong? Wanting the same content at the same time for the same amount of money is wrong? Yes, there's a lot of impotent internet rage here, but there are also legitimate complaints. Increasingly complicated versions of exclusivity is a real and growing problem. A lack of good communication from the industry to its customers is a real problem. Ignoring these problems is in no way " being reasonable."

I say we stop waving that equality word around like it's some sort of constitutional right for everybody to have something like a red stripe on our scooter in the video game. Is the game or DLC or whatever still worth the price you're paying? If not, don't buy it. New customer discounts and perks have existed since forever.

Timed-exclusive content has existed for a while now, while the price of games on each platform have remained about the same. Caveat emptor. If this content weren't effective in influencing buying decisions, it wouldn't exist. Bungie is the business of making games. Those games have to sell for them to continue to do this. This is one way games are sold. Wail on Bungie all you want, but this is the business they're in.

What else bugs me is that we know next to nothing about the nature of the content in question, which could be shoulder pads, insignias, or guns that are no better than any gun included in every version sold and yet so many are screaming like somebody took their blankie. They don't even know what the blankie looks like.

Bah.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread