Thank you for being reasonable. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 07, 2014, 15:25 (3574 days ago) @ Kermit

I say we stop waving that equality word around like it's some sort of constitutional right for everybody to have something like a red stripe on our scooter in the video game. Is the game or DLC or whatever still worth the price you're paying? If not, don't buy it. New customer discounts and perks have existed since forever.

I was waving it around as in: "the state of being equal." Making it more than that is just silly. If you want to pick a battle, quibbling over my use of the word equality isn't really a good choice.

Timed-exclusive content has existed for a while now, while the price of games on each platform have remained about the same. Caveat emptor. If this content weren't effective in influencing buying decisions, it wouldn't exist. Bungie is the business of making games. Those games have to sell for them to continue to do this. This is one way games are sold. Wail on Bungie all you want, but this is the business they're in.

But the game would sell either way, wouldn't it? Is anybody actually buying Destiny because of a red stripped scooter? Certainly nobody bought a PS4 for the Alpha, because they didn't know to do so. I love the neat collector's content coming with Destiny. It looks awesome. To me, that's a worthy thing for developers to make to try to attract sales. Someone pays more, they get more. That's cool. What I don't like is paying the same and getting less.

Yeah, it's just a video game. Sure, it might just be an ugly pain scheme (I've had that happen to me before... ugly DLC content that I kinda wished I DIDN'T get) but being left out does matter to people. I don't think that should just be dismissed.

What else bugs me is that we know next to nothing about the nature of the content in question, which could be shoulder pads, insignias, or guns that are no better than any gun included in every version sold and yet so many are screaming like somebody took their blankie. They don't even know what the blankie looks like.

But isn't that a problem in itself? We're being asked to decide where to spend money without even being given details on what we are or aren't buying. Just simple things like how long the timed exclusives last is still in question.

Bah.

Indeed. That we can agree on! :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread