I think this is an industry-wide problem with AAA games. (Destiny)

by Avateur @, Monday, July 07, 2014, 19:54 (3573 days ago) @ Leviathan

I seriously need to start by letting you know how much I appreciate your post. I don't think I appreciate it in the context of what's happening right here right now, but more to how I feel on a general level as a consumer and as someone who, as "far back" as 2011 and 2012, was so devoted and excited for the industry as a whole, but not quite as much anymore. Thank you for your post.

But I'm not upset with Bungie in particular - or upset at all (that was all used up on my Cintiq not turning on this morning). I've simply become exhausted with the AAA blockbuster industry as a whole the last few years. That's why I hardly buy any of them anymore, and usually never new. With all these DLCs, exclusives, and other gimmicks constantly bombarding me, how am I supposed to stay interested in the industry that at one time, not so long ago, I was trying to break into?

I think this largely speaks to how I feel. I'm hardly buying games anymore. I have Bioshock Infinite, yet all I've done is stare at the box. Can't bring myself to play it. Not sure why. Was totally excited for Watch_Dogs and Titanfall. They were must-buys even a month from their launches. Haven't purchased. I also tried breaking into the game industry. I also really, really fell out of wanting to try or even care to. It's really disappointing how jaded I've become at the gaming industry at large.

To fix this issue (if you think it is an issue in the first place), I think we have to not support it across the board, across the industry. It's not a personal or angry thing - it's simply communication through sales. If I have the money for a new copy of Destiny (which sounds impossible at the moment), I'll likely just buy a standard edition, and try to buy it from an outlet that does not offer an exclusive, like I'd currently do with any other game that piqued me interest. I still think Destiny looks great, and I'm a big supporter of Bungie, but we need to let the industry know how we want our games, and to do so we have to move beyond message board rants and act on it, even if that means sacrificing some of the cool nuggets we want. :)

I like the idea of both message board rants and letting wallets do the talking. Just saying. :P

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread