A variation on this idea... (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 12:01 (3567 days ago) @ ZackDark

I do like the idea of tiered rewards, but I feel like (as opposed to a firefight, say) there is more scope for strikes being used to advance the story of Destiny. With this in mind, I wouldn't be quite so keen to make non-completion a common occurrence. It might work better to always allow teams to complete each strike (i.e. infinite lives, since the time a fireteam has to complete a strike together is the de facto constraint), but instead give the bronze/silver/gold reward ranking once you complete, based on how quickly/efficiently you can complete it.

World of Warcraft has a similar concept for timed dungeon runs, where you can win exclusive cosmetic item upgrades. The important distinction there is that it normalises* gear to a set maximum level, so as to prevent players making it easier with better gear. Ultimately I have to wonder if Destiny wouldn't need something similar to ensure that max-level challenges can stay the same relative difficulty even after better gear becomes available.

*incidentally, this is one of the many reasons why it's inaccurate to say that games like WoW are more about gear than skill.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread