When death is of no consequence, there is no challenge. (Destiny)

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 19:54 (3566 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

This all sounds like gameplay serving story. That's completely backward.

I'm 100% certain that Destiny's story is subservient to the gameplay. I only used the story points to illustrate the contrast in approach to the design of each series.

So, am I going to get one cheap kill, or six cheap kills? Neither seems fair.

Why is it not fair? Everyone gets one. They get a kill on you, you get 3 kills on them - congrats, you're winning!

Or, knowing someone could be camping there with their super ready, do I even risk going to the second objective?

Up to you!

So you're saying here that you could use them well, or you could use them not so well. I don't see how that's a defense of supers. It could apply to anything in multiplayer.

It's a question of degrees, my friend. That was basically my opening line.

My suggestion for supers is to have them picked up on the map, one in play at all times.[...]
Doesn't that sound better, if not good?

Sounds like you're trying to 'balance' it like Halo. Look at how healthy that game's MP population... wait.

There are other, valid, approaches to creating games. Ones that can maintain continuity between PvP and other areas of the game.

Do you get grenades every 30 seconds, or every 10 because you've optimised your armour set up?

Real question, is that actually a thing?

The numbers aren't accurate, but yes it's a thing. Armour pieces with 'dexterity' reduced your grenade cooldown and armour pieces with 'strength' reduced your melee cooldown. Armour pieces that have 'intellect' can reduce your super cooldown too - but there were no such pieces available in the Beta.

I didn't touch on [heavy ammo], but I should have. Whoever holds X to pick up the ammo should be the only one to get any. They fought for it, they got there first, they won the prize.

A team fights for the map control that would allow a player to go pick it up undisturbed. If a team, working together, is willing to contract their presence for more Heavy ammo, that is their reward.

I didn't see it happen, but I can imagine a team of six people with loaded rocket launchers just annihilating the enemy team.

Therefore, there is obviously some skill, or knowledge, or coordination, or risk in getting that to happen in the first place, right? The possible annihilation that ensues is the reward - as long as you don't die before you use it!

Can you imagine if that was how it worked in Halo?

Destiny =/= Halo. The same rules do not apply.

"Just use a different gun!"
So I have to create any variance, because the game doesn't provide any on its own?

The game is giving it to you on a platter rather than forcing it on you. To be honest, Halo multiplayer often reduced to BR, BR, BR, Sniper, BR, BR, BR, Rockets, BR, BR, BR. Just BR if you weren't 'good enough' to grab rockets or sniper.

Why would I want to switch, anyway?

One good reason is this, just a couple of paragraphs above:

It gets pretty repetitive.

Sure, through grinding for better weapons that do more damage per shot to leg/eyeball. [...]
There's no mastering that. If you can do it faster, it's because you have better equipment.

Yes, I'm sure these guys managed to do Devil's Lair in under 11 minutes only because their gear was SOO much better than yours.

That shotgun was such a waste too. Should have no-scoped.

/sarc

*shrugs*

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread