When death is of little consequence (Destiny)

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 12:49 (3566 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You've got something of a mix of story and gameplay here, but you're largely right.

Well the story is really just there to reinforce the gameplay, right? :P

At the same time we already know of a minimum of 6+ Guardians who did suffer permanent death. [...] Perhaps there is a rule we aren't completely aware of yet?

Yes, guardian perma-death seems like it'll be a recurring plot-point. Perhaps there are pockets were The Darkness is too strong for the Ghosts?

On the gameplay front, I treat a fireteam's complete wipe as not supported by the story. To me, it then becomes like the infinite respawning Master Chief. Something to be ignored for the sake of gameplay.

Is it though? For an entity that can bring people back from the dead, can make it rain on Mars, can make Venus a garden world, can make enormous structures fly through space and float without any visible means of propulsion... is it inconceivable that it's magical power extends to time and space? Maybe the private areas of the world that different guardians see are shards of the same universe, replicated by the powers of Light and Darkness clashing against one another.

When a fireteam wipes out, the Light pulls them back to a safe point in time. The Travellers power isn't infinite, merely very large.

I wouldn't mind a checkbox somewhere enabling a Strict Mode where my Guardian's complete wipe meant permanent death for that character, but I'm not sure how many others would go for it.

One life for the entire game? Why would anyone do that?

First, while Supers are powerful, their possible kill spread ranges from zero to several enemies. I think it's important to combat this notion that Supers are automatic kill switches when they aren't. I think as we become better at PVP and as we unlock additional abilities of our Guardians (the Hunter's Blink in particular) Supers will need to be used with more and more care.

Very true. One of them has a bubble-shield super as well.

Second, it's important to remember that Control is only one of Destiny's potentially many gametypes.

I know, I just have no idea what the other gametypes are like. I think it's safe to say the Control is indicative of the general direction of gametypes in Destiny compared to Halo's more 'pure' approach.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread