When death is of no consequence, there is no challenge. (Destiny)

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 13:53 (3565 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)
edited by RC, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 14:03

Why is it not fair? Everyone gets one. They get a kill on you, you get 3 kills on them - congrats, you're winning!

It doesn't feel fair because they didn't earn it. Things that instantly kill should come with some risk/reward factor. It was given to them, or myself, without doing anything.

I must not be explaining this well. All I can think of saying in response is just repeating myself.

They could earn it faster through killing, but that actually makes it worse, since there's no way to predict when they might have it again.

Reasoning and responding with incomplete information is a common element to games. E.g. you can't see the location of all the players at all times either but, you make a best guess and act anyway.

Yet back when Halo had fair starts for all, it was the king. Wonder why that was?

Largely because it was a good game with matchmaking features that were head and shoulders above the competition. Halo 2 and 3 were absolutely stand-out for their time. By the time Reach came, other games had caught up and began exploring other elements as well.

There are other, valid, approaches to creating games. Ones that can maintain continuity between PvP and other areas of the game.

Why is that necessary? PvP and PvE are supposed to be different.

Yes, the clue is in the names: in one you fight AI, one you fight other people.

Once you start saying it's OK to change mechanics from one mode to another, then you essentially start building 2 different (closely related) games. I can tell you from personal experience it's incredibly frustrating to get good at campaign, then feel like you have to start over from zero in multiplayer. One of the things I liked about Halo was that many of the skills I learned in campaign were applicable to MP.

So you'll have an advantage in multiplayer, because the random loot generator decided you needed a chest peice that let's you get grenades faster, but I didn't.

You will be tripping over dozens of pieces that are roughly equivalent as you play PvE, and having them shoved into your pockets as end-of-level rewards in all modes.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread