When death is of no consequence, there is no challenge. (Destiny)

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 11:06 (3564 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

It isn't incomplete information with supers, though. It's none.

Hardly. It doesn't come back randomly between 0 and infinity seconds. There is a maximum time it will take, and a minimum even with armour stat bonuses.

Of course, if they kill and pick up Orbs of light it'll be quicker, but you have information on their kills and I'm sure someone will figure out the numbers (if they haven't already)

Finally, if you spot them first and get your reticle on them, their level box will have a golden glow around it to let you know their super is charged.

That's a lot more information to integrate, sure.

Doubt this one very much. Four years later, and there still aren't any other console games to match Reach's featureset.

Which is a shame but, what Claude said.

Yes, the clue is in the names: in one you fight AI, one you fight other people.

I can't tell if you're trying to be a smartass here...

100% smartass.

Many, but not all. There are things that work in campaign that are broken in multi. I don't think small changes like what I suggested are going to throw anyone off, and nobody would feel cheated.

Super as a pickup? People would definitely feel cheated that'd they'd integrated it well into their playstyle, optimised their gear to get a quick recharge, and now suddenly it doesn't apply to PvP!

The goal should always be to provide the best experience in either mode. They work so differently, that you can't give them all of the same mechanics without one suffering. Nobody will mind if both modes are excellent, yet a little different. Having them tailored to work for themselves just makes sense.

Best overall experience. Destiny clearly isn't designed for you to go into PvP at level 1 (you're not allowed to on your first character, even)

Getting and keeping a lot of people into PvP is very important to the quality of matches. If people are turned off because some of the fundamentals of your own character's abilities are not what they're familiar with then Bungie risk jeopardising that. Plenty still changes between the modes: enclosed, tighter maps, time-limited gametypes, points and scoring, etc.

It's up to random fate what loot you get, is the point. That'll lead to a lot of unfairness and imbalance. This one is pretty much inarguable.

The degree to which it'll be unfair, in non-Iron Banner playlists? Pretty minimal in my experience in the Beta.

'Balance' is overrated.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread