When death is of no consequence, there is no challenge. (Destiny)

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 17:47 (3565 days ago) @ RC

Reasoning and responding with incomplete information is a common element to games. E.g. you can't see the location of all the players at all times either but, you make a best guess and act anyway.

It isn't incomplete information with supers, though. It's none.

With your example, players can master reading the radar to very accurately predict where a foe will be (I guess this only half applies to Destiny, what with the weird innacurate radar it has). A good player can know the exact location of all players near them.

If supers were more predictable and consistent, a good player could learn to accurately predict when his opponent's super had charged.

Largely because it was a good game with matchmaking features that were head and shoulders above the competition. Halo 2 and 3 were absolutely stand-out for their time. By the time Reach came, other games had caught up and began exploring other elements as well.

Doubt this one very much. Four years later, and there still aren't any other console games to match Reach's featureset. I've seen theater mode in a few places, but nothing compares to Reach.

Yes, the clue is in the names: in one you fight AI, one you fight other people.

I can't tell if you're trying to be a smartass here...

Once you start saying it's OK to change mechanics from one mode to another, then you essentially start building 2 different (closely related) games. I can tell you from personal experience it's incredibly frustrating to get good at campaign, then feel like you have to start over from zero in multiplayer. One of the things I liked about Halo was that many of the skills I learned in campaign were applicable to MP.

Many, but not all. There are things that work in campaign that are broken in multi. I don't think small changes like what I suggested are going to throw anyone off, and nobody would feel cheated.

The goal should always be to provide the best experience in either mode. They work so differently, that you can't give them all of the same mechanics without one suffering. Nobody will mind if both modes are excellent, yet a little different. Having them tailored to work for themselves just makes sense.

You will be tripping over dozens of pieces that are roughly equivalent as you play PvE, and having them shoved into your pockets as end-of-level rewards in all modes.

It's up to random fate what loot you get, is the point. That'll lead to a lot of unfairness and imbalance. This one is pretty much inarguable.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread