When death is of little consequence (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 21:36 (3566 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by Ragashingo, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 21:40

They've used the term matchmaking all over the place. Even in the Destiny UI the words beside the Finding Guardians spinner sometimes would say something like Evaluating Guardians. It'd be a massive story if PvP weren't matchmade. It being in seems like a basic part a Bungie game to me for, you know, the past decade...

Not trying to be mean and strictly playing devil's advocate, but I find it funny that people (in this case, you) are willing to point out things from the past decade or Bungie's previous games, but as soon as someone else compares Destiny to Halo in a way that people don't like, you get Halo =/= Destiny. Lmao.

Let's solve this quick if you're going to laugh your ass off at me. :/

BWU 3/14/2014:

Larsa 83 How will the matchmaking work in Destiny competitive multiplayer? For example, some first time gamers playing multiplayer in Destiny and are matched against, say a clan of very skilled players that knows every corner of the map and wins easy. That would ruin my multiplayer experience if I get into a game like that. I like close games where every kill counts and all players are somewhat equal in their skill level.

Bungie: If you like those moments when you get to tie the leader, you’re in luck. Bungie likes a good, close match, too. Don’t take it from me. Listen to Design Lead Lars Bakken tell you about his work.

“We agree that the best matches are the ones that are the closest. With that in mind, we match players in Destiny based on their performance. Not every game will be neck and neck (as human players have a tendency to get better over time and can have random spiky games), but we’re going to do our best to match you with other players of a similar skill.”

So matchmaking itself is in. Period. Unless we want to go down the is Bungie lying trail.

Or is the skill in being better at seeing someone before they see you, and potentially having better gear? lol

Now, let's talk about skill. Basically, I'm getting pretty darn tired of some people's limited definition of skill. Here's what skill is to me in Destiny. It comes in two parts:

1. Can I kill you more than you can kill me?
2. Can my team beat your team?

That's it. Two very short sentences. But they include aiming, positioning, map control, vehicle coordination, camping, correct weapon usage, correct gear usage, grenades, double jumps, retreating, getting the most points out of a Super, and anything else that helps me and my team win at Destiny that isn't cheating or unsportsmanlike conduct like trash talking or teabagging.

In your quote above your definition of skill cuts out seeing someone first. Why? You cut out gear. Why? Earlier, others cut out thing like using a Sparrow to advance on snipers. Why? Or having a team make best use of Heavy ammo. Why? Or Supers. Why? I think, at least as a general rule, the more someone's definition of skill cuts out of a game the less correct their version of is when talking about that game. You or anyone else is going to have to work pretty darn hard and have some good, conclusive evidence to show a gameplay feature doesn't work well before I start pulling back on my definition of skill.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread