I can't believe I'm reading these words. (Destiny)

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 18:49 (3567 days ago) @ RC

The basis of all drama is conflict! Without conflict there is no action; without action there is no character; without character there is no story.
- Syd Field

Without conflict, you might as well pack it in – you are in the wrong field of endeavor. Without conflict, your reader will fall asleep and you will never have to think about having an audience. The ball game is over.
- William Froug

When nothing is at stake, why should I give a shit?
- Bones

. . .

Defeat is simply the addition of time, to a task you never asked for, but The Traveler imposed.

Well, my friend, that's boring as all hell. When the only measure of progression is time, an essentially infinite and meaningless resource, losing but a sliver creates no risk or tension, grants no reward or relief, and eliminates the dramatic impact of failure.

That is, unless you're a speed runner. I'm not really a big fan of being told to do it again, but this time faster.

I can't speak for others, but when I found the only penalty for playing poorly was a longer respawn and a longer walk, I realized that none of my actions mattered and I had no personal investment. There was no drama because there was no conflict because I was always going to win as long as I had more time, which I always did.

Unless I quit out of boredom.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread