Why I'm leaving. (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 17:48 (3523 days ago) @ Decom

Glad you found someone that reaffirmed your prejudice, but I hope you realize that there are opposing viewpoints. Maybe when Destiny hits that lower price point you'll check it out yourself and get the chance to form a solid opinion based on your personal experiences.

I've read the posts from people who love the game, too. One thing I've noticed, though, is that the posts praising Destiny often don't provide solid reasons for loving the game, while anti-Destiny posts have explicit reasons for disliking the game. I've seen "having a blast" more times than I can count but haven't seen a real reason why people are having a blast. Sure, the FPS mechanics are good but that alone doesn't make a game fun, in my opinion.

The core mechanics of a game can't be responsible for what makes it fun? Isn't that precisely what OUGHT TO make it fun?

I like the lore; I like the character creation options; I like the 3 classes; I like the Warlock subclasses; I like the Tower; I like selecting bounties; I like Patrol; I like Public Events; I like my character's growth; I like tweaking my subclass and loadout to face different challenges, such as fighting in different PvE scenarios; I like tweaking my subclass and loadout because I'm going into PvP and it's time for my Warlock to go Voidwalker and Nova Bomb some Guardians; Oh now I'm a Sunsinger and I'm frozen, mid-air, while I finish off my enemy; I like going to Venus; Mars; the Moon; But I'll always love going back to Old Russia for the feels; I like fighting the Fallen; I like the Vex, probably my favorite Bungie enemy ever because of those crazy scary teleport troop advances; I liked the introduction to the Cabal, how powerful and relentless they felt; I liked getting in an Interceptor and showing the Cabal how powerful and relentless I am; I liked playing a story mission and scanning my environment, preparing for the inevitable onslaught that I know is going to happen as soon as I deploy my Ghost--better check for fallback positions, where the enemy is likely to come from, reload my weapons, --okay, let's do this; I loved the final battle of The Last Array; I loved plenty of other moments from the campaign, like the Sword of Crota or Shrine of Oryx, etc. etc. etc. There's too much that I like about Destiny to list it all. And there's still so much more of Destiny I haven't had the chance to explore--the perks of Exotic gear, the Raid, the content to come in future DLC..

In other words, I'M HAVING A BLAST! :D

It's easier to list negative things because that list is so much shorter.

I have played through Destiny's campaign at a friend's house, so I'd say have solid (negative) opinion of that aspect of the game. I've been using the forums to figure out if the end-game content was as good as Bungie said it was going to be. "The game starts at level 20."

Ah, your original post made it sound like you skipped even playing because of negative posts, which was a little alarming. Glad you had a chance to actually play.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread