I should go with you. (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 24, 2014, 03:28 (3523 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by Korny, Wednesday, September 24, 2014, 03:40

You're quitting the game - and I haven't even played it yet. Amazing.

Hey, some people are just living life in the fast lane. I just hit level 20 yesterday! ;-D

Hit 20 the day after release, and I'm still having fun and new experiences with it. Go figure...

I honestly don't get the objection about the repetition. As a mostly campaign-only player, all there ever was, was repetition. Any variations you had to add yourself-- change difficulty level, change approach. The skulls gave more precise control but didn't actually add content.

Investment system blinders aside, I think I can see the complaints about repetition:

Halo=

(PoA) Corridor shooter. Familiar, but this feels good. Limited gear, escape mission. Neat.

(Halo) Open space banshee fight, defense mission with allies, driving mission, rescues and holdouts. Sniper rifle and Jackals introduced. Neat.

(T&R) Stealthy sniper mission, assault on deployed enemies, defense mission with allies, infiltration rescue, VIP escape. Hunters and Camo Elites introduced. Neat.

(SC) Beach assault. Driving mission with open world freedom, varied Hunter encounters. Infil/exfil mission. Rocket Launcher and Gold sword Elite introduced. Neat.

(AotCR) Narrow corridors leading into open rooms, multi-tiered bridge fight with mini-boss battle gold elite, wraith fight, driving mission, Tank-optional mission, possible Banshee mission, narrow corridors leading into open rooms, twin Bridge fight, assault up and into Control Room. Tank, Ghost, Wraith, and usable Banshees introduced. Neat.

(343GS) Mysterious infiltration mission with low-tier enemies, empty rooms... The flood... Escape mission, then escape with allies. Holdout with new allies. Shotgun, the Flood, sentinels, 343 GS introduced. Neat.

(Library) Long corridor mission against flood, long corridor mission against flood with Sentinel allies, holdout against flood, long corridor mission against flood. Overshield and Carrier flood introduced. Neat(?).

(TB) Fight against Sentinels, three-way fight against Covenant and sentinels. Sniper-optional push against Covenant. Rocket-optional fight against wraith, banshee flying, infiltration missions with low-shield-initiated fights against flood/sentinels, driving mission, narrow corridors leading into open rooms with flood/Covenant. Banshee missions, On-foot mission against flood and Covenant across large open spaces, Attack on Wraith and covenant fighting flood, fighting Sentinels with Banshee. Sentinels, fuel rod Grunts, three-way fights introduced. Neat.

(Keyes) Narrow corridor flood fight. Dark, narrow canyon three-way fights, Hunter fight, infil/exfil mission among three-way fights in narrow corridors. Nothing new, but familiar elements combined in new ways. Neat.

(The Maw) Infiltration against flood and Sentinels. Narrow corridor battle against Hunters and Spec Ops covenant. Narrow corridor three-way fights, four-stage open-room objective mission with rockets amid three-way fight, elevator battle against Spec Ops Elites, timed driving mission, on-foot race to escape. Grenade-throwing Spec Ops Elites and Camo flood introduced. Neat.

======

Halo had variety, whereas Destiny has a huge chunk of its missions being "infiltration mission, holdout against enemy waves, repeat", or "infiltration mission, stationary boss fight, repeat" as their main objectives. Not all missions are like this, though. Charging the eye of the gate lord was different, and provided a variety of objectives and scenarios, and that was the Daily story yesterday. Had it had more modifiers, that mission alone would be fun to replay over and over. Same goes for many other missions in Destiny. Can Bungie fix this by changing Boss behaviors or objectives? Definitely.

What if a modifier allowed the Nexus to slowly move his shield to cover its weak spot, and your team had to either split up or move to a new spot to get a momentary advantage?

What if someone on your team had to manually pry a door open instead of letting Ghost scan a keypad, and the other teammate(s) had to protect that person? Titans could be able to pry the door open faster, so it would add value to their class, but maybe a Blade Dancer could use their Arc Blade to power a security system, shutting some doors to reduce the number of enemies while taking longer than the other classes to get the door open...

What if you did a mission where enemies were immune to all but specific elements, yet dropped only special/heavy ammo?

Bungie can definitely fix the existing missions with modifications, but denying people the freedom to add skulls (or simply stacking more with each of the many difficulty selections, while improving the rewards or odds of reward) is an issue that can be fixed.

Repetition is inherent to campaign-only games, but even within, a lot of variety can usually be found, and when 60% of Destiny's missions look like the two examples above... Then that's a different type of repetition... But not something that's unfixable.

Playlists, bounties, special events-- they're all just incentive to play the same bits over again, but could anybody have expected anything else? The only other choice is to lock more content down behind high requirements, and that's the OTHER thing people complain about.

I really don't see it as a question of requiring people to grind before giving them something they think they deserve.

I see it more as rewarding some people with a little extra for the repetition they were going to do anyway.

The problem is entitlement. People want the best gear/weapons as soon as possible, rather than being content with what they have. It's an inherent problem in any loot game, where stats and perks ultimately mean more than individuality or playstyle.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread