Couldn't have said it better myself. (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 24, 2014, 11:56 (3523 days ago) @ Numinar

What Pete said.

There is no grind.

It's Halo with better co-op netcode and more characters with more to say and less plot (But the story is pretty much the same but with a high fantasy focus. Screw around for a bit then destroy the ultimate evil)

Also, better skulls.

The investment system is one of the best I have used. It's not wasting my time. It gives me gear, very slowly at a guaranteed minimum rate with some extras that actually means something to me and requires me to reward that luck with work. None of it is so crazy that it full on breaks the Halo (more than the ultimate attacks I guess), but the most subtle of perks makes all the difference in the Crucible and harder PvP missions. I can feel the change in that legendary Handcannon. I will use it for days or weeks. If a slightly better one dropped tomorrow it would be Diablo and that game is not for me or many others.

The investment system seems hit or miss for people, but it keeps hitting for me... I wish I could gift some of its rewards, to balance it out for others (I'd have no problem doing some of the exotic Bounties for others, simply because I have fun doing them. Thanks to PS4's upcoming Share Play, I might be able to do just that)...

Is playing Halo Legendary for the 8th time a Grind? No. I've put that equivalent in hours into this game already. It already paid for half itself in the Alpha/Beta. Having loot dosn't make it a grind. Being a crappy game makes it a grind. If you think the Halo gunplay mixed with Dota ultimate abilities sucks, then you will hate it and the loot you are sad you didn't get wont make the game more fun.

The Burn modifiers make any mission much more fun, even....

It's also Ok to think the game sucks. Nobody wants anyone to shut up. Bungie wants criticism to make it better. But complain about parts of the game that are actually well thought out and progressive compared to it's contemporaries sucks.

It's subjective, for the most part, with the loot system being a huge division point, but constructive criticism should never be stifled. Incessant whining, on the other hand...

Diablo III has one guaranteed Legendary an hour. I suggest you check it out. If they did that in Destiny I would be really annoyed. Special drops that drop every hour are not special.

If everyone has a special armor, it's no longer special. See: Lucky Raspberry.

I don't think that Destiny is gods gift, but I haven't spent 15 days straight with a game ever. And it's not because I want to collect stuff, it's because I want to shoot stuff with others and get the odd random reward whilst working towards achievable ones. It may not be, minute for minute, as white knuckle awesome as a better Halo. But it's closer than most shooters and there is a lot more of it with a lot more variables.

I was extremely critical of numerous aspects of Destiny in this very thread, and yet I still have a ton of fun with it, because rewards and loot aren't why I play this game. It's a blast to play, and a solid co-op game (Now if it only allowed teams of four).
I don't see myself getting tired of it for a good long while, assuming the DLC expands significantly on the content.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread