I should go with you. (Destiny)

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, September 24, 2014, 10:28 (3522 days ago) @ Korny

(Halo) Open space banshee fight, defense mission with allies, driving mission, rescues and holdouts. Sniper rifle and Jackals introduced. Neat.

And needler. :D

(TB) Fight against Sentinels, three-way fight against Covenant and sentinels. Sniper-optional push against Covenant. Rocket-optional fight against wraith, banshee flying, infiltration missions with low-shield-initiated fights against flood/sentinels, driving mission, narrow corridors leading into open rooms with flood/Covenant. Banshee missions, On-foot mission against flood and Covenant across large open spaces, Attack on Wraith and covenant fighting flood, fighting Sentinels with Banshee. Sentinels, fuel rod Grunts, three-way fights introduced. Neat.

Three-way fights are introduced on 343 Guilty Spark.

(The Maw) Infiltration against flood and Sentinels. Narrow corridor battle against Hunters and Spec Ops covenant. Narrow corridor three-way fights, four-stage open-room objective mission with rockets amid three-way fight, elevator battle against Spec Ops Elites, timed driving mission, on-foot race to escape. Grenade-throwing Spec Ops Elites and Camo flood introduced. Neat.

Spec-ops elites are introduced previously on Keyes.

Also, The Maw includes a FOUR-way fight right before the armory and engine room.

//==========================

Simply what the levels include, though, isn't really a good description of the relevant difference. It's more about the high-level structure. Almost every level in Destiny is a variation on an "upbeat Kizingo Boulevard" structure. When discussing what Destiny level to play, the answer in my head is always roughly "I don't care," because every one of them is a slightly different retelling of the same story. I don't usually choose Halo levels by which one happens to include one or two choice encounters, I choose them based on what overall experience I'm looking for. Destiny (roughly) only offers one overall experience. It's a good experience, and an easy one to hop into without funky reservations, but it has two issues: the game doesn't have the same dynamic range that Bungie's previous games do, and it cannot combine these missions effectively in constructing an overall narrative.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread