I should go with you. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 24, 2014, 12:04 (3522 days ago) @ car15
edited by Kermit, Wednesday, September 24, 2014, 12:16

The problem is entitlement. People want the best gear/weapons as soon as possible, rather than being content with what they have. It's an inherent problem in any loot game, where stats and perks ultimately mean more than individuality or playstyle.

The problem is not entitlement.

The problem is that gear should be a reward for playing well, but the RNG system prevents that from manifesting in the game.

It's simply not rewarding to play for hours in the Crucible, get the most kills on your team in every match, and watch them get better gear than you anyway.

Please don't drag "entitlement" into this. I feel like you're going to tell me to stay off your lawn or stop listening to the rap music. It's a video game, not real life. Ideally, it should reward you for doing well.

If character progression is going to be in this game, it should be done well. Using "entitlement" as an excuse for Bungie's failed investment system is disingenuous. I don't want to play a game that doesn't reward me for doing well when:
a) That's supposed to be one of the main focuses of the game, and
b) The game itself isn't very engaging anyway.

I'm no expert on the investment system (I just haven't given it close attention--plus, I'm only a 20), but haven't several people already established that the best way to get what you want in the game is to buy it? And given that anything you get can be converted to a kind of currency, doesn't anything you get move you closer to the purchase you want to make?

That also raises the question, doesn't a lot of anger over the RNG really come from the availability bias at work? You see someone else get something, and you magnify the significance of that, and perceive that they are getting more than you over time when in reality, that's not even possible.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread