Compare to ME3, CoD, WoW, etc.. (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 27, 2015, 23:21 (3315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If anything, it should be easier to patch Destiny than a PC game because you're only doing it for 4 very specific hardware layouts instead of the nearly infinite possibilities of PC configurations that exist in the wild.

Not really. Each of those patches has to go to cert for the respective platforms. That costs money. Money x4. Remember Fez? It needed a patch because it would delete your saved games, but a patch would have been too expensive. So Polytron just didn't do one.

That's not true, actually. Hardware manufacturers can (and do) pre-screen certain variables for limitless patching in the name of balance changes without recertification for each one. They're well aware that games are always online now, and they don't want to stand in the way of developer adjustments. You may have to have the game grab that data from the server every time (like weapon damage values or something) - I'm not 100% certain how it works because all I used to do was test that stuff, but I know we didn't have to re-cert for damage value tweaks.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread