Easy. (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, March 30, 2015, 02:40 (3309 days ago) @ Earendil
edited by General Vagueness, Monday, March 30, 2015, 02:44

Just like damage, those values have no upper limit, and will grow with the game and level. Compare that to Stability, which will always be on a 0-100 level. Once you have perfect stability (100%) it makes no sense to add 10 stability, or to increase stability by 50%. Same for reload, or most attributes.

At the end of the day, FPS only players that want a pure FPS won't like Destiny, and RPG players that want a pure RPG won't like it either. It's a hybrid, which means not only taking elements from both, but also tossing out elements from both. Destiny isn't such a hard core RPG that (imho) we need numbers for everything. In fact that would take away from the "jump in and have fun fast" that they were aiming for.

I don't see how, there's nothing making you look at the numbers, and you already have several to keep track of if you want to get the most out of what you do. On top of that you have numbers appearing whenever you do damage to an enemy. It seems wrong to me to show the player how much damage they're doing but not why they're doing that amount of damage. Numbers would only give part of that-- I and others tried and failed to figure out the other parts-- but it would be a good start.
I don't know, maybe it's the wrong approach, maybe we're supposed to intuit how good a weapon is, it's supposed to be one of those things you can tell just by looking (at the bars). Unfortunately intuition isn't my strong suit, and neither is accurate color perception. Bungie is helping me in one of those areas, I wish they'd help me in the other one too.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread