Update's Up! (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, March 30, 2015, 18:48 (3316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Now I'll admit that this is a very specific example. But I don't see the downside to including the numbers. Giving the player more information is rarely a bad thing.

Hand Cannons have exactly three possible impact values. There's no in between. Your scenario is impossible. Hand cannons in the same archetype will do the same amount of damage all things being equal.

There are low impact high rof (Devil you Don't, Word of Crota)
There are medium impact medium rate of fire (Faction hand Cannons, TFWPKY, Fatebringer, Devil You Know)
There are high impact Low Rof hand cannons (Timur's Lash, Sir Isaac)

You only need to try one from each type to know how the archetype performs.

Okay. I think you're being kind of nit-picky, but if you replace handcannons with scout-rifles, sniper rifles, or pretty much any other weapon in the game, the argument holds.

The downside for including numbers is that just looking at a number isn't going to tell you the final damage done to an enemy. It's superfluous, and has you worrying about numbers instead of actually playing the game. More numbers = less immersion in an FPS.

I'm not asking for the final damage (It would be nice, but there's too many unexposed variables). I'm just asking for a more precise way to compare guns before I buy them.

If you think those mock-ups I made with the numbers at the side of the bars flip the switch from "immersive" to "not immersive"... I don't know how to respond to that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread