Also... (Destiny)

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 17:05 (3090 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Bungie gets their money from new players. This is geared at retention, sure... but retention is also geared to rope in more purchasers.

Once destiny 2 comes out they get to hit reset and have everyone re-buy from scratch. Until then, they are updating to get more sales primarily, not just to make the playerbase happier.

Regarding the quest... I suspect they had 1-2 developers work on making the quest for a month or two. Then farming out art and audio assets. They are still gearing up with the live team. In a year I'll be worried if the live team doesn't significantly deliver. I think their updates will of necessity be smaller.

I also think bungie had a misstep and needed more "content" for in-between than they expected. They crossed their fingers and over-hyped it. I'd love to hear if this actually did what they were hoping it would. Because I'm darn sure that their primary goal isn't for us hardcore fans getting free content over and over. To be clear, I do think that is a goal of theirs. But it comes second to the almighty dollar, which is primarily new game sales.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread