Either less more often, or more less often. (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 01:04 (3089 days ago) @ Korny

TLDR: I wish Bungie would stop sharing so much.

Bungie used to share little, and that was annoying, but fine.
Now fans want constant communication. They want to know everything about what's in store, and get mad about Bungie's lack of communication. So when Bungie starts sharing (in detail) what's in store, and they try to get us excited for it, we end up disappointed.

I sort of agree.

I can't really defend the new content the way Funk does, as bite-sized fun, at least not as presented.

It doesn't justify its inclusion.

It isn't really about the price, it's about timing and expectations.

This is the kind of thing (with the possible exception of the new Malok unit, which doesn't get used that much, really) you'd think we could get far more often with little or no fanfare.

The one new "story" mission and one collect patrol are the kind of thing I'd absolutely welcome-- if I just turned on the game one day and it was there. A few enemy placements, some scripting... why can't that happen every month? Every week?

I can't figure out whether this was supposed to be something on the scale of House of Wolves and then got cut down, leaving us with one boss, one "story" mission and one strike, or whether this was always the plan. It certainly follows the HoW/TK blueprint; introduce new boss, boss runs away, do missions/quests to catch up with boss, capture or kill boss in a one or two-phase activity that has a singleplayer ending in a story mission and then a multiplayer ending in an endgame activity (PoE/Raid).

It seems to me that using existing units, geometry and gameplay mechanics, we could be getting less substantive "missions" far more often (we are now seven months since Taken King and two since SRL) or more substantive ones less often-- even if that means just waiting for Destiny 2 at this point.

This seems to sit in an uncomfortable space between these two options. I think the inclusion of this content along with the most recent balancing patches and light level increases helped raise expectations beyond a reasonable point.

I'm not really sure what Bungie can do about any of this, though. There would be those who would complain about getting no new content until Destiny 2, despite what we say here. There would be those who would complain about this content whether it was "hyped" in advance or not.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread