I somewhat disagree (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 02:51 (3089 days ago) @ Mid7night

Bungie is just bad at messaging.

They didn't used to be. I don't know if it's direction from higher up (probably) or if DeeJ just likes to hear himself talk (almost certainly) ... Either way, I miss Frankie, and I know URK is still there but I miss him too.

Honestly, I don't know that they were ever "good" at messaging. Sure, we got the Weekly Updates with Frankie and Urk during Halo development cycles. But that was always just interesting bits and bobs, gee-whiz info, and teases about how good the water looked. It was honestly a great interaction that made the fans feel involved without actually saying a whole lot. And that's fine (and honestly something I wish they would go back to, as do a lot of people, judging from this thread).

But I don't think it'll ever go back to being like that. The Destiny community is vastly different from what the Bungie-era Halo community was. The Destiny community (or at least the loudest in that community) seem to want constant updates about the smallest details. Bungie has never had to (or never elected to) try and communicate in that manner before. As I said, I honestly think it'd be hugely beneficial if they didn't even try, but it's very clear that Halo-era Bungie is not the same as Destiny-era Bungie. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing--companies and the people within them must necessarily grow and change.

I just hope they get better at it, and I've honestly gotten to the point where I won't optimistically hope for anything they've not straight up declared is happening, and even then, if their words can be interpreted to mean different things, the thing I'll expect will undoubtedly be whatever the lesser of those interpretations is. That's sad, but it's the reality I've been presented with.

Like CruelLEGACEY said about his own posts, my posts always tend to come off as extremely critical and down on Bungie and Destiny. But I'm really not. I've enjoyed my time with Destiny, and I plan on enjoying more time with it in the future (this weekend even!). It's great, and I don't truly think that Bungie has some sort of nefarious purpose--they just need to somehow set expectations a little better. I realize that I'm ultimately responsible for my expectations, but I still just feel like Bungie is overselling things all too often, whereas I don't feel like they did that for Halo. Maybe it's just rose-tinted glasses looking at bygone days when I was younger and had the luxury of time to enjoy everything I wanted, but, whatever the cause, real or imagined, it feels different.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread