I somewhat disagree (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:45 (3090 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

To me, the biggest problem with this update is that the 1 thing they stayed fairly quiet about, the quest, is so insignificant that it can barely be considered "content". They didn't keep it mysterious so that we'd have fun digging into it ourselves, they stayed quiet because there is no way they could have told us anything without revealing how pathetically minimal it is. It feels like lying-by-omission to me.

I think they should have never even mentioned the word quest. Than we would have experienced it like the Sleeper quest. Nothing particularly amazing, but something that leads to a new strike/piece of content. No one would have had the expectations of it that we associate with the word quest. I don't think it's lying by omission. That seems too harsh- especially when we're talking about free content. I think it was just presented in the wrong manner.

I don't see that big of a difference between what we're saying. I absolutely agree that "Quest" is the wrong term to use in terms of the expectations that come with it, but it is the term Bungie chose to use.

To be clear, I was not expecting anything big or elaborate. I was expecting 3 or maybe 4 steps including the Strike. I was expecting 1 story mission, maybe 2. I figured they'd throw in some kind of patrol objective as part of the quest.

But when I assumed they would only have 1 story mission, I did not expect this laughable excuse of a story mission. When I thought we'd get a patrol-oriented step, I thought it would at least be a new unique target or mini boss. And while I enjoyed the strike, it is easily the shortest and simplest strike in the game in terms of length and variety.

We know bungie is not shy about keeping things close to the chest when they feel it is important. In the lead-up to TTK, they were very secretive about the Raid. But they still told us it was the biggest raid yet, communicating something about its scope and scale.

When Bungie tells us that the April Update will include a new quest, that is a very vague piece of information. It could mean a 6 or 7 step process that will take hours to complete and cover a wide range of activities. Or it could mean even less than what I thought the bare minimum would entail.

All in all, I think we mostly agree. I also feel they would have been better off just sneaking this thing out as a little surprise for current players.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread