??? POTENTIAL RAID SPOILERS (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 20:45 (2801 days ago) @ breitzen

I remember the discussion coming up during the Halo 2 and Halo 3 pre-launch days, and I used to take a pretty hardline stance that if the developer is willing to show and talk about it, it's not a spoiler.

This shows that I was very definitely wrong.

It really doesn't, and if you haven't seen it it's even more senseless to say that. Developers can spoil their work. Sometimes they're willing to (e.g. when Lorraine McLees spoiled that Noble Team dies in an unboxing video of all things). The vast majority of the time, though, if they're talking about it, then it's early on, or it's a vague thing, or it's just a theme.

They had a whole section talking about being on top of the wall and the death-zamboni. Instead of a HOLY-SHIT moment, I'm going to say: Oh cool its the part where we HAVE to run away and jump off the wall. How does that not spoil the experience in your eyes?

No, I didn't feel that way because I didn't think about what it was taking away, I was just thinking "that's really cool". Now that I am, it's not going to be a surprise, so that's... well, not spoiling, I would say, but something's lost. Spoiling would be if they gave out story elements or puzzle solutions.

Something is lost by not having the first encounter with it be interactive, and having that be a surprise*, but it's not much compared to an entire raid. It's not even much compared to one hard puzzle (like say the Warpriest fight). It's a set piece, something that has a short shelf life (unless it's one of the best ever in the entire medium, and then it'll last as long as people's memory holds out, or until their top 5 or top 10 lists get too close to being top 15 or top 20).

How would you prefer they build hype for the raid?

* a pretty basic "oooooh it's big and it's gonna getchya!" surprise too, in a game mode full of things that are both big and going to get you, I mean even the tombships qualify

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread