Rise of Iron - Forged in Fire ViDoc (Destiny)

by Funkmon @, Thursday, August 18, 2016, 18:14 (2801 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I've stayed out of this discussion, for the most part, but this floored me.

I want to talk too, and I deeply resent being obliged to put things in spoiler tags.

This makes you either a first-class dick or the laziest person I've ever met. Really.

Adding spoiler tags is literally a 2-second operation: select your text, hit the 'spoiler' button. You deeply resent this?

Dude, I deeply resent being forced to vote for HIllary Clinton in order to do my part to keep Trump out of the White House. Pressing a button on a gaming forum isn't even in the same universe of annoyance.

Talk all you want. You don't even have to spend time figuring out what part of your post might be considered spoilers, if you don't want to - just select the whole damn thing. How fucking hard is that? (I think that would be stupid, personally, but I'm looking for ways to help you stomach the serious effort of hitting that button without causing unnecessary strife for others.)

Really - your post actually made me angry. That's the first time in a really long time, reading this forum. Maybe I'm having a bad day.

It's not about the effort, it's about the principles (the refrain of every asshole everywhere). I admit posting spoilers for the fun of it is a dick move, immature, and malicious, no argument there, but not tiptoeing around spoilers to me is not a dick thing to do.

To me, voting for someone of whom you do not approve is on the same level as this. When I vote against someone, because I'm voting anyway, I just fill in the other box. That's no effort, but it fills you with resentment. Why? Because it's about the principles. You're betraying your principles at the expense of something else. Are those principles on the same level as mine about shutting up about spoilers? Maybe. They are to me because I'm ideologically a lunatic.

You may know that I'm an Ayn Rand style nutjob. I see virtue in selfishness and individualism. Now, she mostly related it to a grand ethical egoism, but my opinion here is consistent with that. Now, here's where I appear to be insane. I consider my public silencing of my discussions about what and with whom I desire to be a fundamental betrayal of my ethics. I am obviously very happy and willing to abide by rules (or even heavily implied guidelines) of organizations of which I am a part, and DBO is one of the important ones to me.

Now that this discussion has taken place, I can see that I was in the wrong to do what I have been doing at DBO. Knee jerk responses calling me an asshole or a douche do not indicate to me that I'm doing something that harms the community, but that I'm pissing off individual people, but who do not explain why nor do anything but call me a dick or dismiss me as a troll. I'm trolling with the spoilers for movies from the 1960s, but a lot of the time I'm actually relating my preposterous (but deeply held) opinions, which I apparently actually share at some level with a number of other people here because it's not just me, though I admit I started it on DBO.

Again, I now understand, with Kermit's post, and your post, that DBO does have heavily implied spoiler guidelines, and I understand I'm doing something bad for DBO, an organization about which I care greatly. Before, I just knew I was pissing off certain people in particular, which to me is different, but I'm dense as a brick. Remember, I don't have to be an asshole or lazy, I can be bug nutty, and an asshole and lazy. I won't be doing it anymore.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread