well... (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, August 18, 2016, 21:39 (2806 days ago) @ cheapLEY

there's a reason I didn't state it that way.

Cody doesn't need to be encouraged that his opinions represent objective truth. In this case, however, his opinion is his true opinion and we're in agreement on this one.

It just gets to me, because this thread can basically be summed up as some people telling others they're wrong for not wanting to know anything about a new raid, no matter how minor the detail. It doesn't matter what anyone's personal opinions are on what constitutes a spoiler--you don't get to define that for another person.

No, but it gets prickly when their statements revolve around a word without defining that word. It's kind of like if someone told you they were giving you a new fridge and it's big, but then you saw it and it wasn't that big and said "Thanks for the fridge, but is this the right one? You said it was big", and then they got upset because it was a big fridge, for them. You had no frame of reference other than your own to go by so you were expecting something else (and asking people what they mean before you respond to them every time is a good way to get people to not want to talk to you any more).

There's another level to it too, in that people are pretty plainly exaggerating what the video shows, one person (Cody) even admitted they were probably going too far.

Anyway I don't think "your definition is wrong" or "your opinion is wrong" are driving points here, I think it's more people saying "your opinion is dumb"-- which is itself an opinion.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread