Seasons (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 23, 2017, 09:18 (2380 days ago) @ Kahzgul

It is condescending to imply that just because someone pays for microtransactions they are somehow not savvy or understanding of what that purchase is. For most players it is as much a conscious choice to buy microtransactions based on their budget and perceived value to the exact same degree that people don't due to their budget or perceived value.

I apologize if this was insulting as it was not intended to be. I believe that microtransactions, in general, are designed to play on addictive tendencies in players, and that those who are savvy to the tricks are more able to resist those tricks or at least make their purchases with full and complete information. I did not mean to imply that people who were unaware of the predatory abuse of human nature playing out in their video game were somehow less than as a result. Being unwittingly manipulated is not the fault of the victim. Perhaps savvy was not the best term to use, but I'm struggling to think of one that more accurately describes what I was trying to say.

Great masses of people seem to have no problem with this kind of thing when it's in the guise of a state lottery, which preys on the innumerate (and often poor) disproportionately. I do, but that's mainly because it's state-sanctioned.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread