Sammy and I spent about a couple hundred... Each... (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, October 23, 2017, 09:52 (2380 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Mass Effect 3 was a funny situation, too. They released new content at a great pace, the new characters were a blast to play, and literally game-changing (some of the new characters required a completely different approach and playstyle, and mastering those techniques was a blast). The whole thing was so damn good and so damn fun that every time a new batch of content dropped, I was more than happy to spend $5-$10 on a few packs to get some of the new characters right out of the gate. It was still a manipulative system... you couldn't just buy the specific characters you wanted, and there was a "pay to win" element thanks to all the extra upgrades and health kits you'd get from packs. But they also made the economy work perfectly well without ever spending money, so it never ruffled my feathers.

The crcuial thing about this, though, is that the loot pool shrank after a certain point. Dupes would level up things you already had until those things reached max level, so there was a better chance of you getting what you wanted after every purchase. I never felt cheated, and when I didn't get what I wanted from a purchase, I would just play with what I *did* get, and that caused me to be a better-rounded player in the end.

I mean, assuming people care about things like that.

~M

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread