Spending Money vs. Time (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 23, 2017, 09:39 (2380 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, October 23, 2017, 09:43

So any time that sort of microtransaction exists in a game, we're now in a situation where we (the players) must hope that the developers are doing their best to resist those money-making incentives. Some developers will do better in that regard than others. From a player's point of view, it would clearly be better if that tension didn't exist in the first place.

This is why at the end of the day I think the least offensive Microtransactions are the ones that are not only purely cosmetic, but also only available by purchase. In this way, the developer doesn’t have to add “frictions” to their game to get you to buy things. I think the idea of everything being available also by playing is something that sounds good, but ultimately isn’t.

I bought the Delixe Edition of Life is Strange before the storm. That includes outfit packs for Chloe. The game actually changes based on your outfit. For example, David will chastise her if you make her hair blue or wear something inappropriate. The game would be better if you just had that choice regardless, but nothing about he game design pushes you toward buying this. There are no “frictions”. So while it sucks that some of the world is unavailable to some, at least the world they get isn’t made worse.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread