Ragashigo's post is super important. (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, October 24, 2017, 10:57 (2379 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Charge more than 60 dollars for your game!

It’s been established by microtransactions that many many people already do not mind paying more than 60 bucks for a game. Even more buy deluxe editions.

Charge more, and make what would have been microtransactional content available to all.

It’s even time for a price increase. Adjusting for inflation games are the cheapest they have ever been, yet they are also the most expensive to develop.

You're not wrong conceptually. I would prefer that but... it's getting the consumer to agree to that that is harder. While we may be fine doing this in practice, the 59.95 is more appealing than 60 in our heads. $30 down with $3/month over 10 months is more appealing to many. When people are figuring out where to spend that cash, $80 vs $60 is a meaningful difference in upfront cost. I would venture that the negative press (who has the audacity to think their product is worth that much more?)for such a value, or the perceived value (I could buy my niece this $60 game of this $80 game) would cut into enough profits that future endeavors would be at risk.

Also, I can pay for a $60 game and not pay for Microtransactions.

But you have to suffer the “frictions” designed into the game.

Wait. Really? This fits within your definition of suffering?

I might not have chosen the word “suffering”, but I do think that Cody’s point is valid.

As I’ve explained in other posts, I’m perfectly capable of ignoring all the microtransactions that clutter up many modern games. But many devs/publishers have already shown that they are willing to intentionally create content that isn’t fun, then offer the ability to buy your way past that content. So players who choose not to make extra purchases are stuck “suffering through” gameplay systems designed to make them want to skip ahead.

I agree that there is a certain of level of abusing the players by adding friction into a game for Microtransactions. But I also believe that that isn't completely one sided in the "suffering" category. It seems that a lot of people have expectations of what a game should be and if there are "frictions" added, as Cody puts it, that it destroys that game. I would say that yes, that sucks depending on the game. I also hear of a lot of self imposed suffering that goes along with games, and it's very easy to blame RNG and Microtransactions on it's cause. Yes, I generalized that a little because it's way to early to quantify it exactly, but I've heard it in this forum before. Take it as a hunch :)

But I hate hearing this "every Microtransaction is at it's base evil" sort of thing like it's the devil clawing at your back, no matter how good intentioned the developer is that it's going to get you someday. Yes, the whole point of MT's is to make money. But they don't always have to be suffering, even if they are intended that way (I highly doubt any company wants to actually cause their players to suffer).

The best example I have of this is an iPhone game call Marvel Contest of Champions. It is a free game that has horrible amounts of MT's in the game, this includes the classic "energy wall". However these MT's are both an annoyance and a boon to me. I love this game, I love playing it, but if I wasn't actually locked out from unrestricted playing the game, it would probably be unhealthy the amount of time I would spend on it. I personally have spent like 5-10 bucks on the game in the last couple years but I could have spent thousands. I treat the game, without paying money, as the game in its whole and any other payed feature a bonus. Once you see it like that, it's actually a very healthy and fun game to play. However most people don't have that sort of view on games.

I'd argue that most people *do* actually have a healthy view of games and microtransactions. That's not where the abuse comes in. It's the 0.15% of players who make up 50% of MT revenue that are being abused. They have a disease called addiction and the games industry and our legislatures are both doing nothing to protect them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread