Haha what (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, October 23, 2017, 14:09 (2380 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Buying popcorn for 6 bucks at the movie theatre also doesn’t make you a sucker, but that doesn’t mean it’s not shady.

Fair point. However, it also doesn't mean it automatically/necessarily IS shady!

In fact, I would argue that this very example you provide is evidence of it not being shady. Movie theaters simply cannot continue to operate on ticket sales alone because of the costs of licensing the rights to show the films, and other overhead costs. Therefore, if the movie theater did not charge you 6 bucks for popcorn, they would not be able to pay their employees and keep the lights on. So, I ask you -- what is so shady about that?

It also may not be. Considering that these companies are profit based, how much of the markup ends up as profit, and how much of it covers the operating costs of the theatre, keeping the lights on.

Also how much does this markup figure into declining theatre attendance? Do I go to the theatre less because I have a 4k TV, or is it because it feels absurdly expensive to have a proper night at the theatre? That's a really tough question to say. As ticket sales decline, they need to find other avenues of revenue to keep the lights on, boom, markup concessions...

I probably go to the theatre 1/10th of the times that I would have 5-10 years ago. I doubt it's just the cost of licensing the rights to show the films/overhead(???) that figures into their decision making.

Aren’t you in the Union? I very rarely pay to see a film anymore and just see them at industry screenings. I go way more often; I see pretty much everything.

I'm a software consultant... I'm not in any union unfortunately.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread