Spending Money vs. Time (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, October 23, 2017, 10:27 (2380 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So any time that sort of microtransaction exists in a game, we're now in a situation where we (the players) must hope that the developers are doing their best to resist those money-making incentives. Some developers will do better in that regard than others. From a player's point of view, it would clearly be better if that tension didn't exist in the first place.

This is why at the end of the day I think the least offensive Microtransactions are the ones that are not only purely cosmetic, but also only available by purchase.

Ultimately I agree with this, they are the least offensive.

In this way, the developer doesn’t have to add “frictions” to their game to get you to buy things.

The developers don't have to add anything. It being cosmetic just means it's harder to do.

I think the idea of everything being available also by playing is something that sounds good, but ultimately isn’t.

I think it is some that not only sounds good, but is a good idea. It's not that it ultimately isn't. It's like saying I think the idea of people being nice to each other is a something that sounds good but ultimately isn't. Yeah, unfortunately there are jack asses in the world.

That’s not the same. If an item is available in game, and if “frictions” aren’t out in place to make its acquisition unpleasant, then you have zero reason to buy it. It’s a bad idea because it does not work unless you make your game worse.

You have reason to buy said Item if the cost of playing some portion of the game that is required to get the said item you can't "afford". I'm going to purposefully take this completely one sided to make a point:

If I am a businessman who can only spend an hour a day playing games, but I want an item that can either for played for or bought. I don't have time or want to spend 2 hours to get said item, then I would much rather buy it. This is the developer giving an avenue to a player that normally would have to spend time that he doesn't have.

I know you will say that if the developer made content that isn't enjoyable, then the developer did a bad job. But I'm going to say right now that not everyone enjoys everything about games and also, developers aren't perfect.

This logic goes out the window for me if it starts affecting other people who play the game. For example pay to win.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread