Everyone has choices. (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 24, 2017, 12:05 (2379 days ago) @ Ragashingo

To sum it up, we keep using words like "abuse" which, for me, makes me immediately think that Developers are abusing gamers. I think this goes a little far. The very use of the word would imply that developers are intentionally using MT's to harm gamers. I'm not saying that all MT's are right, but we have to keep an objective head when thinking about this. This is two sided.

This is where I'm at. Doubly so. Accusing people of "abuse" like this is just going to lead to more discussion about overly harsh language and take away from the actually important topics. We've already strong implications made that Destiny's gameplay itself was made to be abusive, for crying out loud!

That doesn't mean I don't also agree that the industry doesn't need to talk a long hard look at what these loot boxes and micro transactions are doing to people. There probably should be warnings, and help links, and options to disable paid micro transactions. Destiny is rated T for Teen, should 13 year olds really even be subjected to micro transactions??

I agree. I just don't want us to get into mob mentality and just blindly blame game companies for Microtransactions. Both sides need to look back at their own actions and move forward from there.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread