Spending Money vs. Time (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 24, 2017, 12:44 (2379 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If the game has too many parts that you don’t like… then you don’t like the game! So why are you playing it in the first place!? This excepts pieces that do not interact such as separate modes. If you like PvE but too much of PvE is frustrating… that is your problem for playing that game.

You and D1 summed up nicely.

That being said, I don't think you actually understand what he was getting at in his post. He said, there is a really cool state fair and I like 5 of the 10 rides. I don't ride half of them because they're boring or they are too extreme. There are 5 that I really do like though. Me not liking those other 5 doesn't mean it's a bad fair.

No, because each ride is independent. The levels in a video game campaign are not. They are part of a larger whole. Each one should have a critical place in the experience and not be interchangeable or skippable for maximum effectiveness.

PvE or PvP. It is possible to talk about these as discrete experiences that have different draws. Right?

Also, the raid, trials, competitive PvP, the campaign, public events... the list can go on.

Not quite. You have to play the rest of PvE to get to the raid for example. There’s no quickplay mode that just loads up the raid and gears you. You have to gear up by playing everything else. That’s what made Destiny so frustrating.

So if you were given the option to skip a lot of destiny so that you could play the raid, would you? You might not if you had to pay $60 for the raid, but one could say that some people would still pay $60 for the raid.

If I could have skipped days 2-6 of Destiny I would have. But the point is that I shouldn’t have to. And vault of glass was easily worth 60 bucks.

I understand the reasoning for not having to skip whole sections of the game and I agree. But I also think you can't please everyone with just one solution to get what you want. Thus, Time spent playing portions of the game, or money.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread