Big Picture (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 24, 2017, 15:46 (2378 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In terms of the Epistemology of the situation, saying the Warmind can’t be simulated is non sensical if you are living in a simulation. There is no way to “know” this.

I get that part. They would have no way of knowing just how powerful a Vex was so would have no way of knowing if it could accurately simulate an entire Warmind.

You wouldn’t even be able to ask the question, since you’d be unable to conceive of a Warmind.

I don't get this. I don't have any really good grasp on how powerful the world's most powerful super computer is or if my small town has anything even remotely comparable, but I can grasp the concept of a extremely powerful supercomputer. Why wouldn't it be the same for the Ishtar scientists, simulated or not?

Let’s say you are in a simulation. I ask you to imagine a tree. The tree you picture is not a “real” tree, but the simulated tree, since that’s the only type of tree you’ve ever experienced. The simulation could be completely wrong about what a “tree” is, and so you would never be able to conceive of a “real” tree.

But let’s say the simulation is off on the color of the leaves. A simulated trees leaves are black. But you can conceive of a tree with leaves of any color, including green. Thus, the simulation is capable of storing a representation of a green leaved tree. It has to; or else it could not be stored in the simulated mind.

This is the key. If something cannot be simulated, it could not be placed inside a simulated mind. So the simulated being could not have any conception of such a thing.

Unless by simulating a person they basically created a program that could eventually think for it's self (an AI) which in turn might be able to think outside the simulation.

Impossible. The rules of the simulation determine the entirety of the possibility space absolutely. There is no thinking “outside” of the simulation by something in it.

If you are talking about a total possibility simulation tree, what are the limitations/rules? There have to be bounds to the simulation otherwise they WOULD be able to think of something outside of the simulation.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread