In my defense.... (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, October 23, 2017, 13:23 (2380 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Buying popcorn for 6 bucks at the movie theatre also doesn’t make you a sucker, but that doesn’t mean it’s not shady.

Fair point. However, it also doesn't mean it automatically/necessarily IS shady!

In fact, I would argue that this very example you provide is evidence of it not being shady. Movie theaters simply cannot continue to operate on ticket sales alone because of the costs of licensing the rights to show the films, and other overhead costs. Therefore, if the movie theater did not charge you 6 bucks for popcorn, they would not be able to pay their employees and keep the lights on. So, I ask you -- what is so shady about that?

There’s a cheap theatre in Van Nuys that charges $7.50 on a Friday night. Hot dogs are $1.50. Popcorn is $1.75. Drinks are $2.00. How do they continue to operate without gouging? They’ve been open at least 9 years.

I'm not saying that this is the case, but I have a buddy who worked at a coffee as a manager and he knew for a fact that the coffee shop was making no profit and the only reason it was still going was because it had a rich owner that kept it alive as a pet project.

Nothing is black and white.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread