Not the least bit unfair. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 31, 2020, 09:50 (1554 days ago) @ narcogen

By the way, am I reading this thread correctly? Do Kermit, Cody and I essentially agree in our reactions to this?

In our distaste for this development? Maybe. But probably not in its significance, or how we weigh all the pieces of the story. For instance, Cody thinks the game should just be more expensive to cover costs. I think the current landscape and gamer expectations make that a risky business proposition. You seem to think greed on someone's part is a prime motivator here. I don't know that I do--at least not to the degree that you do.

I don't like them "selling" exotics in part because exotics have played such an important role in the mythos of Destiny. Selling one breaks immersion in a way.

It also reminds me of the exclusives debate. I didn't like those either, but they truly changed the value proposition of the game very little, and I always thought that business dictated that Bungie pretend they were more important than they were, when those of us who really played the game realized that what was offered wasn't all that.

Finally, I'm still enjoying Destiny and I don't want to stop. I still like to think they're trying to make something cool and keep the staff they need to do so employed. I stand by what I said the other day. I'm not as pure as Cody. Maybe it's personality differences. Maybe I'm more likely to just pick off the unwanted anchovies from the pizza rather than go without pizza. Cody just wants the cooks to make the pizza he wants them to make or he's out, and that's his prerogative.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread