Halo (Destiny)

by EffortlessFury @, Sunday, February 02, 2020, 10:05 (1552 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Soooo, if it had been a Macintosh release price was unbounded?

Since at the time Bungie was self publishing, yes. They could charge whatever they wanted.

[image]

We're talking about the ability to price things while considering not only profit but price sensitivity. Of course they could literally charge whatever they wanted but that is meaningless to this argument. Realistically, no developer or publisher can charge "whatever they want."

Your argument, then, is one about artistic purity; games uninfluenced by the financial circumstances of their development. When judging a work, you must either take all context of its creation into consideration or none of it. The economics of it all is a part of that context.

Your purity arguments try to look at games in a vacuum. Your ideals are aspirational but entirely unrealistic. To make a game like the one Bungie makes, this is how they need to fund it. You believe this mars the work and, IIRC, your arguments usually boil down to either "Charge for it differently the way that I want without regard to the same factors Bungie is considering," or "Don't make that kind of game."

We've already brought up price sensitivity as at least one factor that Bungie is considering that you don't seem to be concerned with. The other? "Don't make that kind of game." I mean, that's just your opinion, man, and Bungie can make whatever game they want. It's their studio and their choice. We get it at this point; please stop bringing that up.

So are we just beating a dead horse again? Business as usual?

Yes, there is a line that needs to be drawn as to what business practices are acceptable, but we can't judge them in a vacuum and we certainly can't be bitching about purity in the year 2020.

I'm probably wrong somehow but I calls it likes I sees it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread