Being a jerk. (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, February 01, 2020, 08:42 (1553 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You should have said all that in the first place instead of the dickish drive by jab.

Again, theoretically. Your comment didn’t actually bother me, but we’ve moved beyond that into the “words mean things” territory. The jab you actually posted conveyed literally none of what you just said and served only to stir the pot after I admitted that I could have been more considerate with my word choice.

"It was dickish. It didn't say anything. You were stirring the pot.

*I* wasn't bothered, though."

This is an extremely dishonest, bad-faith way of having an exchange, and it's very much an extension of what I was objecting to before. This is very much akin to saying "somebody else might respond to you by saying you're an idiot, but I won't do that because I'm polite."

If you weren't bothered by it don't use words that indicate you were. If you were bothered by it, don't try to act above the fray.

I made a cultural reference that actually transmitted a good deal of what my later post did. It works less well without knowledge of that reference, but that's just the way of these things.

The rest of what I wrote there is pretty much a repeat of things I've written in the past.

Again, the fact that you retracted is not relevant because the point of responding was not to push your position back, to get you to retract or apologize, but to respond to the content itself that you posted. Your position continues to exist in the world even if you disown it, and that position in particular deserves refutation.

People continue to throw up their hands and ask, "who cares" at people who point out things they think are bad and wrong. If you want to, for the purposes of a particular position, stop saying that, that's fine and good, but realize that when people stand up and say "I care, and I think others should" this is not a criticism of you. It is a criticism of the position. If it's no longer a position you hold, then stop defending it.

Just to go back on topic:

I don't think exotic weapons or armor should be part of rewards that come from real money transactions. I think that in terms of requiring a dev to remain "pure" this is not a particularly onerous restriction, and I think once that is permissible, pretty much anything else could and likely will be.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread