I think many of us are guilty of this from time to time (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 04, 2016, 23:10 (2997 days ago) @ Funkmon

I didn't even talk about the decision, just how they wrote about it. I call Bungie Bingle about 85% of the time. You're just trying to find something to be mad about. This happens here every time I say something like this. Just because I made a choice about what I will do or like doesn't mean I think Bungie is wrong, irrational, making bad design choices, or that I think my preferences are the correct ones.

This forum as a whole needs to lighten up and quit with the greedy, self-serving, expentant mindset.

When I first ready your reply to the OP, I interpreted your words much like Raga did. I was about to write something very similar to Raga's response, but I stopped and said to myself "This is Funkmon, here. I know him well enough to know he's a smart, reasonable, good-humoured guy. Maybe his post doesn't mean what I think it does".

I realized I had been reading your post with my "general internet comment" filter engaged. You know, that filter that makes you see the most negative possible interpretation of the words in front of you because that's what the Internet has trained you to do? As soon as I shut that filter off, I saw your post as it was really intended.

I know I've faced my fare share of these kinds of "worst-possible interpretations" here on these forums, even as recently as this week. I absolutely make mistakes from time to time in the way I try to communicate my thoughts, but I have also felt like some people have, on occasion, gone out of their way to find the worst possible interpretation of my words. I think that even here at DBO, where many of us are quite familiar with each other, we can still slip into Internet negativity vortexes in a way that never happens when we're playing together and talking about these same topics over voice chat.

Really, I think the best thing for all of us is to play even more Destiny together. It genuinely helps avoid these kinds of miscommunications :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread