I honestly considered Destiny the most middle-ground of MMs (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 05, 2016, 16:28 (2995 days ago) @ narcogen

I've definitely been on both sides of the lag in every online game I've ever played and Destiny has been, by quite a margin, the one that felt the most balanced. I got kills I perceived as valid, perhaps a few seconds later than usual. I got killed "out of the blue" a few seconds after duking it out with a lagged player and surviving with quite a hit to my health. It never felt unfair.

It was never a nothing-at-all-happens situation like Halo had when I was the one lagging and it wasn't a fuckers-teleporting-everywhere scenario when they are the ones lagging.

Generally that has also been my experience, in both PVE and PVP. Lag is noticeable, but the game seems to degrade gracefully.

What I expect is that this means that low latency players are experiencing the effects more keenly than they do in other games, and this is troublesome to them. High latency players are getting a more robust experience than they usually do; you only have to compare a high ping coop game of Halo 3 to a Destiny raid to see the massive improvement Bungie made there.

What I fear is that the loud complaints about crucible lag is going to take away some of the improved experience that Destiny offers to high latency players, and that if this change is made at a low level it may effect more than just Crucible. The update itself is nonspecific about this even though it is all within the context of PVP discussions.

Why was this never a problem in the Alpha? In the Alpha, I had 3Mbps down 1Mbps up. The shittiest cable connection you could have. And I never ever not even once saw anything even remotely close to the lag I see now.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread