Sorry if this comes out wrong (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 04, 2016, 23:32 (2997 days ago) @ Up North 65

"Expect to lose fights a lot more often, even if you think you shot first or escaped behind cover in time." I interpret this as if you have a bad connection you'll be penalized. And damn we are all just arguing semantics of a paragraph and will know more next week.

In my brain, this translates to "a laggy player doesn't have an accurate view of what's going on in the game, so don't be surprised if what you see doesn't line up with what's actually happening".

In other words, if I'm lagging, I might not see that an enemy has shot me until a split second after he has shot me. In that split second I might duck behind cover and think I'm safe, only to have the hit register and kill me. From my laggy view, it appears I just got shot through cover, but everyone else in the game could see that I actually got shot before I had moved.

Basically, it sounds to me like they are trying to make hit registration more "fair" in that hits will register based on the true game-state, not the laggy player's out-of-date view of the game state.

But you're absolutely right that we don't really know anything until we get to play with the new net code and see how it feels.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread